Thursday, January 19, 2012

Vietnamese Noodle (or something like that)

Ok, lets be honest, sometimes we make things, and they-- well, are outside of our comfort zone. That was this dish. I didn't have everything I wanted to make it... my mushrooms went bad, and I was out of bell peppers (having used them in another dinner). So I---- modified. I bet this is nothing like real Vietnamese noodles. Having only had Vietnamese food once, I'm still a little clueless. So this was a sort of "attempt".
But the example stands, you can cook a multitude of things going gluten free. You just have to look outside of the foods you were raised on, look into the things that you think "what the HECK do you do with that?!" when you see it at the store. My version today is boring looking, and so blah... no fun red's and greens... but it was yummy enough as it was... so play with yours, mix in some different vegetables!


1 squash (yellow julienned)
2 carrots (julienned)
1/2 onion (julienned)
1 can chicken
BRAGG (or other soy-like sauce)
2-3 tsp sesame oil
2 or so tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chicken stock (or bullion and water)
rice noodles








Put your noodles into their warm water to start cooking (my package said warm water for 5-10 minutes, follow YOUR package).
In 2 tsp sesame oil and a drizzle of olive oil, cook your carrots & onion till the onion starts to sweat and turn translucent. Add squash, chicken, BRAGG and broth. Toss with noodles. Done. {you don't want squishy veggies, so be sure not to overcook them!} Next time I'm going to put more veggies in it... spinach, bell peppers, and some other good ones!

Again, this was plain, simple and... honestly... LOVED.
My kids gobbled it ALL UP!
Husband loved it.

No comments: