Friday, January 6, 2012

Taco Experiment.

So I usually make my tacos a pretty standard way. I use free range ranch beef (my dad's ranch) and I cook it with onions in a skillet till browned, then I add water and seasoning (I consult my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook to make my own no-flour seasoning). 
This time I did something a friend of mine suggested. I used Chorizo. I'm wondering if I used a wrong version? Or is it just that there's something special this friend does?? I don't know. Anyhow, this was our Taco Experiment. 


I started with my meat. I used Chorizo, beef and red beans. I added the red beans after the meat was cooked. I let it simmer while I cooked the rice.
The rice was so simple- yet delicious! I put my 2 cups of water on to boil, then I added 1 Tbs lime juice. I let my minute rice go... then at the very end, I added chopped cilantro. 
 I baked my taco shells in the oven, so they would be nice and crisp.

As you see from the 1st picture, I layered meat, rice and tomato, with a sprinkle of more cilantro on top. I actually think this would have tasted better on a burrito, but my son doesn't like corn tortillas so we did tacos. It felt very "carb-o-loaded" to me, but it was good. (If you are going to add cheese, I'd recommend right between the meat and rice! If you like a corn tortilla, I'd do that instead of taco shell!!) 

Now here was our KICKER! I made Jalapeño dip. I put in my bowl, 1/2 brick of cream cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/2 cup sour cream. Then I chopped a Jalapeño (after de-seeding it) very small. Microwaved till hot and smooth. YUM.

No comments: